When Christians Sin
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. – 1 John 1:9
“As believers in Christ, we are assured that all our past sins have been forgiven. But what happens when we sin after we are born again? The fact is that Christians sin and fail God; and we have to face our failure, if we want to be real and sincere before God. If we say it doesn’t matter or make excuses for it, we grieve the Holy Spirit who lives in us, and we break fellowship with God. This is harmful to our spiritual life. But the Bible says that if we confess our sins, he will forgive us and purify us from all unrighteousness. To confess our sins means that we get alone with God, and we agree with him about our wrong thoughts, words, attitudes and actions. Immediately, his mercy flows and we are brought back into fellowship with our heavenly Father. Stay close to Jesus so that you do not sin, and always desire to live as he did. But when you break down and fail, don’t give up on yourself. Instead, go to God…” – Pastor Cymbala
- Why do we still have a “sin” problem after we’re born again?
- What is one reason why a person may not want to admit their sin?
- Discuss some ways that we make excuses for our sin and how that harms our spiritual life.
- How has God provided for us when we fail him?
- Do you feel confident in going to God with your failures? Why or why not?