The Importance of God’s Word
Like newborn babies crave the pure spiritual milk of the Word so that by it you may grow up in your salvation. – 1 Peter 2:2
“Just as we need nutritious food for our bodies in order to grow physically from the time we are born, as Christians we need ‘soul food’ in order to grow spiritually from the time we are born again. In order to grow strong in our faith and be a blessing to others, we have to have a proper diet spiritually, and this starts with the Word of God. In fact, there is no substitute for God’s Word in our lives. We can have church meetings, sing praise and worship and have fellowship with other Christians, but that’s not the pure spiritual milk that the Scriptures talk about. Taking time in the Word of God daily— reading it, chewing on it, ingesting it, and meditating on it— will make us strong in the Lord and in the power of his might. As we open the Bible, we also need to humble ourselves and ask the Author to help us understand what he wrote…” – Pastor Cymbala
- Compare the food we need for our physical bodies with the “soul food” we need as believers in Christ.
- Why does the Bible compare the Word of God to pure spiritual milk?
- Why do we need a proper spiritual diet in order to be a blessing to others?
- Name some substitutes that people use to try to replace God’s Word in their lives; and discuss why they do not help us to grow in our faith.
- What is the importance of asking God to help us understand his Word before we meditate on it daily?