Pass It On
Spreading The Gospel
For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile. – Romans 1:16
“The gospel is the good news that Jesus died on the cross to pay the penalty for our sins and rose again the third day, conquering sin and death; that if we repent or turn away from our sins and put our trust in what Jesus accomplished for us on the cross, we are saved and have eternal life. Before he departed this earth, Jesus gave his followers the command to ‘Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation’ (Mark 16:15). It is not the responsibility of the pastor or evangelist alone but rather the calling on all of our lives to share the good news of Jesus. The apostle Paul said that the gospel is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes. The message itself has power as we proclaim it, depending on the Holy Spirit to give us boldness and to prepare the hearts of those who will hear it. We are warned in the New Testament not to add or take away from the message of the gospel. It is not about joining a particular church or denomination; and there is no white Southern gospel or Black gospel or Pentecostal gospel or mainline church gospel. The Bible is the authoritative word on the gospel of Jesus Christ. Jesus said that the angels in heaven rejoice over one sinner who repents. Let’s make heaven happy today. Let’s ask God to use us to share the good news of Jesus.” – Pastor Cymbala
- What is the gospel?
- What command did Jesus give his followers before he departed this earth?
- Read the apostle Peter’s first message, on the Day of Pentecost, in Acts 2:14-39.
- What was the response of those who heard the message?
- What did Peter tell the hearers of the message to do in order to have forgiveness of sins?
- What did the apostle Paul say about the gospel in Romans 1:16
- How does this change your view about sharing the good news of Jesus?